Tuesday, March 13, 2007

It has ended again

I played the Italian tonight. I offered to play Sunday, but he said he was sore from helping with the stores coming on board the day before. The stores were a good thing, the previous captain and steward did not order any food for us so we have had very little on board and the variety at meal time was lacking. The 13 pallets that we received was a little much so I said alright, even though I was fine.

So I said fine and he told me he was ready to play today, and we did. After some good games I lost 3 games to 1. The fourth game ended 5-4, our counter only goes up to five, so I almost sent it to a deciding game.

My goalie got me again, our table doesn't have the ramps in the corners, instead it has a three man back line. Which while it gives you more shooters, with new angles, it also means more things to deflect the ball. My biggest problem is forgetting the man in the corner and using my center goalie playing it to the corner and immediately moving him back to the center of the goal mouth. Well, that means the corner man plays it right back to the center goal keeper. Who proceeds to score an own goal.

Round three also seems to have gotten played tonight. The Iranian born Norwegian beat the Welshman who lives in Thailand, vice the Welshman who doesn't. The Italian beat the Canadian, and the Filipino still has to play the other Norwegian, in what ends up being a rematch from the previous round. I mentioned in a previous post that we had an odd number sign up, this is where the odd number comes in, the "best" loser from the second and third round move on to the next round. "Best" meaning they won more games in their series than any other loser won in theirs. It just so happens that they were at the bottom of the bracket and the winner of their game got the "best" loser.

Otherwise, I found out today I might be coming home a few weeks earlier than expected, but my next trip would be longer, 11 weeks instead of the normal 8. I need to look at some schedules before I make up my mind. I'll let you know.

Jon

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is the best line:

"The Iranian born Norwegian beat the Welshman who lives in Thailand, vice the Welshman who doesn't."

What a subculture you've got there!

Jon said...

Oh, we do have some weird ones. I thought we had two Welshmen on board, but the other one is actually English, huge difference I know.

Anonymous said...

Hey that's like saying there's no difference between an Iowan and a Minnesotan afterall.