Sunday, March 25, 2007

A few of the advantages of flying alot

When I tell people about my job, a frequent response I get is, "So you travel a lot, how exciting!" Yes, I love being on an eight hour flight, shoe horned between two people who from what I can tell have the manners of homo erectus.

For my flight home last Friday, I had gone online the previous Monday to look at my seat. The airline had set me up in a middle seat of a three seat row. Personally, this is the worst seat on an airplane. Ok the middle seat in a five seat row is worse, but those are only a few airplanes. So, I moved back a couple of rows to get an exit row window seat. Now, I like the window, and in case of an emergency, the exit row window pretty much guarantees my getting out first. Ok, I really wanted the leg room.

Thursday night I went back online to do my check-in and print my boarding pass so I can make sure everything with my flight is set. I have had a few experiences where I thought things were all set and they weren't. Anyway, I find I have been bumped from my exit row seat! I was bumped to first-class. No, I really didn't mind losing the exit row. Apparently my silver status with the airline has taken effect.

This past year, I was able to earn enough miles to earn silver status from the airline. It does provide me with a few benefits, mostly I can check-in at the first-class check-in desk, and I can get the window or other premium seats free of charge. Probably the best benefit though is the complimentary upgrade to first class, if a seat is available.

There are a few advantages to flying this much.

Jon

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice. That's what I'm talking about.